Cycling all the way to the edge of the Pacific Ocean through the most spectacular and varied state of the United States! It's bound to be a dream plan. A minimum of experience and good physical condition are needed for such adventure, intermediate level required.
The road is winding, often steep, but the slope is generally gentle. To appreciate the most beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean, deserted beaches hidden in small coves, sometimes you have to climb passes of a few hundred meters above sea level, to better descend thereafter!
A surprising diversity of coastal landscapes
The beauty and diversity of the Californian coast remains, of course, the major asset of this trip. The north of San Francisco with its rugged coastline offers beautiful views and unspoilt oceanic nature. It is also the ideal place to enjoy California oysters.
A little further to the south, the spectacle is breathtaking in the Big Sur area, where the very high cliffs, the giant Sequoia forests and the cut rocks form a unique whole. After Santa Barbara, that is to say 2/3 of the way, we really enter the south coast.
There, the long sandy beaches parade, alternating with beautiful areas of cliffs will fascinate you so much that you will lose time notions. Nature is therefore queen on this course with the most scenic panoramas and the wonder that will make you forget the effort! Such a reward.
From north to south at the water's edge
A bike tour for unique landscapes: above all the atmosphere and the apprehension of the trip is completely different from the ballads on foot or by car. Thus cycling will allow you to:
- Admire the coastal profile that has nothing to envy to the steepest areas of Brittany or Ireland to which it sometimes looks.
- Interact with the inhabitants of the coast. If nature and the sea are, of course, the stars of the route, the inhabited areas and cities crossed also offer a certain charm.
- Take the detours. Impossible to do by car, by bike on this coast you can quite stay a few hours at the edge of your favorite beaches or continue your ride in accessible roads.
- Take unique shots. Have your camera handy, you will often need it! The landscapes are breathtaking from start to finish.
- Taste local specialties. From time to time, the road is full of small food stalls and restaurants but also some typical American food trucks. A stop for a small snack is therefore a must during your ride.
Where and how to book?
To get a really good deal, online travel agencies remain one of the best ways to book. And if you are looking to really save on flights, hotels and activities, eDreams is here for you: https://www.edreams-travel-guide.com. With its expertise, it has more than 155,000 flight routes operated by more than 530 airlines and more than 1,100,000 hotels in 40,000 destinations. The best thing about eDreams is the ease of navigating on your website. So you can find everything in one place.